Our Mission Statement
Our mission is to grow as a family of grace while we:
- trust and worship a glorious God;
- pursue and proclaim a risky faith in Jesus Christ; and
- depend on the Holy Spirit to transform us and the world.
Our Vision Statement
Our vision is to create and share together in a community that will:
- GO DEEP with our trust in Jesus Christ,
- LIVE WIDE and generously to the world with the gospel, and
- BE ROOTED and seek influence here where God has planted us.
Our Core Values
As we live, worship, and serve side-by-side, we embrace these values:
- Christ Centered
- Biblically Faithful
- Kingdom Committed
Our Five Focus Areas
We believe that the good news of life and forgiveness in Jesus is the most important message in the world. At First Pres we encourage and facilitate the sharing of this good news in at least five ways…
- Risky Worship (Deuteronomy 6:4-8; Hebrews 10:24-25; Micah 6:6-8): We proclaim our trust in a loving, sovereign, and surprising God. On Sundays and every day, a deeply worshipful life expresses a vibrant faith and delight in Jesus Christ.
- Disciples Making Disciples (Matthew 28:18-20; 2 Timothy 2:2): We are called to follow and pass on our trust in the One who is the way, the truth,and the life. This deep and wide call to discipleship and community cuts across generational and cultural lines to include us all. Just as Jesus called the disciples to go out and make new disciples, so it takes every generation to engage in spiritual mentorship.
- Boundless Hospitality (Leviticus 19:34; Hebrews 13:1-2; 1 Peter 4:9): God unexpectedly and extravagantly welcomes us into life with him through Jesus Christ, and our own lives now must echo that same joyful, endless, and tenacious love that Jesus has for each one of us. As Jesus’ followers, we are to embody the incarnational love, warmth, and genuineness of Christ so that all may experience our church as a welcoming safe oasis for those who need friendship, rest and refreshment.
- Bo(u)lder Love (Jeremiah 29:7; Mark 12:31): The lavish love of Jesus poured out on us leads us to love boldly and seek the flourishing of Boulder. The location and people of First Presbyterian Church are a trust we would be foolish to ignore. Our unique identity and facility as a downtown Boulder church are gifts we ought to offer to our city in a way that reflects God’s redeeming love.
- Kingdom Growth (Mark 1:15; Matthew 13:1-9): In following Jesus, we develop a passion for what is on the heart of God: salvation, reconciliation, and renewal for us all. In response to this deep work of God, we are invited to develop habits and establish practices that make additional room for God’s people and plan.
In January Session commissioned a team to draft a plan to be adopted by our church. This team of lay people, elders, and staff were asked to utilize three previous important self-studies for its work going forward: the Ministry Master Plan (2004), the Mission Study (2010), and the Church Information Form (2011). In August 2013, Session enthusiastically adopted the resulting plan “Go Deep. Live Wide. Be Rooted."